In early 2021, Volvo and General Motors announced plans to manufacture exclusively electric vehicles by 2030 and 2035, respectively. Two of the world’s biggest automakers going all-electric—if there were lingering doubts that electric vehicles are the future, perhaps this put it to rest.
Yet, when it comes to electric vehicles, details are still somewhat vague for the everyday person. Questions abound. For example:
- How many electric vehicles are on the road today?
- What is the forecast for electric vehicles adoption over the next several years?
- How many types, brands, and models of electric vehicles are there?
- Are electric vehicles better for the environment?
- How do you charge an electric vehicle?
- Are all electric vehicle chargers the same?
- Do electric vehicles pay road tax?
- What are the financial perks to buying an EV?
Here, we’ll answer those questions and more. Whether you’re actively looking to buy an electric vehicle, casually considering it, or just interested in learning more about your options—you’ve come to the right place. (Sources are included in the footnotes)
1. IEA Global EV Outlook 2020
2. “Electric Vehicles, Setting a Course for 2030”, Deloitte
3. Alternative Fuels Data Center, US Department of Energy
4. IEA Global electric car stock, 2010-2019
5. “Here’s Every New Electric Vehicle Model for Sale in the U.S.”, Car and Driver
6. Best-selling plug-in electric vehicle models worldwide in 2020, Statista
7. US Plug-in Electric Vehicle Sales by Model, US Department of Energy
8. Tesla Models
9. “FOTW# 1167, January 4, 2021: Median Driving Range of All-Electric Vehicles Tops 250 Miles for Model Year 2020”, US Department of Energy
10. New All-Electric Vehicles, US Department of Energy
11. “Highlights of the Automotive Trends Report”, US EPA
12. Average Fuel Economy by Major Vehicle Category, US Department of Energy
13. “How Long Does it Take to Charge An Electric Car?”, Nerd Wallet
14. “Plug it in: Electric car charging station numbers are rising”, AP News
15. Electric Vehicle Charging Station Locations, US Department of Energy
16. Electric Car Charging Overview, DriveCleanCA
17. Interoperability of Public Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure, EPRI
18. “How Green Are Electric Vehicles?”, New York Times.
19. “Fact check: Electric vehicles emit fewer emissions and are better for the environment”, USA Today
20. “Electric vs. Gas: Is It Cheaper to Drive an EV?”, NRDC
21. “California starts charging EV registration fees up to $175 in July”, Electrek
22. Federal Tax Credits for New All-Electric and Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles, US Department of Energy
23. State Laws and Incentives, US Department of Energy
24. Electric Vehicle (EV) Rebate Program